Archive for August, 2009|Monthly archive page
So I finally made it to Cedar Point on Funday August 28 2009. This was a first for me, because most of my trips to the Point were always early in the summer during the months of May or June. As I rode “Max Air”, I had to look over in the conner… Maybe… Just Maybe… the Jumbo Jet would be there, but no it really is gone. Everything is gone from that infamous conner of the park, perhaps the only thing still in the park is the Matterhorn, but I am not sure where. Gone to is the refreshment stand with the polka dots on the roof that you could see from the needle. However fresh in my mind I can still see and hear the Jumbo Jet just like it was yesterday, that Funday way back in 1974. Let’s Ride!
Cedar Point’s new ride for 2010, which we believe will be called “Whyte Lightning”, but then again nothing is for certain. Cedar Fair’s marketing department is working over time, dropping hints all over the place. Let’s recap shall we?
* 08/02/09 “Want the head’s up on 2010? Stay tuned…somethin’s brewin’!”
* 08/07/09 “Gee, See Eye!!”
* 08/08/09 “I prefer my lunch TOGO…especially when there’s lightning around.”
* 08/09/09 “witnessed many people enjoying the intamin settting of the park at sunset…”
* 08/10/09 “Harnesses? Check. Wheels? Check.”
* 08/13/09 “Laboring over these 2010 plans is exhausting!”
* 08/14/09 “KD: 1 CW: 2 CP: 3”
* 08/15/09 “Definitely NOT taking the Beemer out for a spin today. Or next year for that matter.”
* 08/22/09 “Oh, and Snake is not going anywhere. There. Confirmed.”
* 08/24/09 “Aquatrax??? Not in 2010…”
* 08/25/09 “2010 Is Not … a Togo or a GCI.”
* 08/26/09 “Cedar Point is not building an S&S, a B&M, a Grav. Group, a Mack, or a Gerstlauer.”
* 08/27/09 “Two down … one to go.”
* 08/28/09 “Them Canfield’s & McGee’s will still be feudin’ down river next year …”
* 09/01/09 “09.03.09 09:10. All will be revealed http://bit.ly/GeaJw”
updated 09.02.09 5:00am
Confused Yet? Aren’t we all? At this point it is still anybody’s guess to what CP’s new ride will be for 2010. I’ve already made my prediction, what’s yours?
Yesterday I wrote that I thought Cedar Point’s new ride for 2010, called “Whyte Lightning“, would be coming from The Gravity Group. TGG has an indoor wooden coaster called the “Splinter” which is based on “The Lost Coaster” at Indiana Beach and would be a good choice for a family ride.
However one thing that CP lacks in it’s park would be a spinning coaster like the SC 3000 or the smaller SC 2000 from Maurer Söhne. On my recent trip to Erie, I got the chance to ride one of these spinning coasters and let me tell you this thing is a blast to ride. This ride would fit right in the the Whyte Lightning theme and be a perfect family ride for CP. At this point it’s anyone’s guess! What’s your guess? Let’s Ride!
How cool is this? A new ride at Cedar Point called Whyte Lightning coming in 2010. The marketing department at Cedar Point has the entire roller coaster community wondering what there new ride will be. Here is a video clip from CoasterBob62 with the latest:
This new ride will be in located on Millennium Island which could be considered a part of Frontier Town and I think that this new ride will be a wooden coaster from The Gravity Group. This new coaster will be a moonshine themed coaster based on TGG’s “Splinter” which is an indoor wooden coaster. This ride and theme would fit perfect with Frontier Town and would fit the space allowed. Just my .02 worth, so what do you think?
I found this clip of someone’s home video of their vacation to Cedar Point in 1972. This video gives you an idea of what Cedar Point was before it became “America’s Rock and Roller Coast“. Yes there are a few shots of the Jumbo Jet (You can see the Jumbo Jet at :15, :57, 1:31, 2:14, 4:09, and 6:32). This is a silent video and anyone that has been to Cedar Point will start to hear all the sounds of the Point. At 4:09 is a great shot of the Jumbo Jet in action and I swear I can hear the cars as they move on the track.
Don’t miss minute 2:14 were you can see the radar antenna rotating, then make sure to check out minute 4:09 that shows the Jumbo Jet in action.
They say that a picture is worth a thousand words and I came up with just six:
“Flying High with the Jumbo Jet”
Now this is not our beloved Jumbo Jet that was at Cedar Point, but it will work. This picture of this Jumbo Jet must have been taken when she was brand new. What I would give for a ride on the Jumbo Jet! Let’s Ride!